Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Where College Fails Us

What have been your experiences of college?
    I have only been going to college for about 7 weeks now. In my opinion it seems that about 40 percent of the kids here, have come to study and get an education to better their future. While the other 60 percent are going to college for the partys and " the college life ". Between classes I go to the library to do my work, and just like clock work, I hear the kids bragging about how much they drank or got stone the night before. Or their big plans for the weekend, which involves partying and getting stupid. It also seems like the kids spend more time on Facebook talking about each other, than doing their work. or studying.
Why are you in college?
   I always wanted to go to college after I left the military, but I could not afford it. Then I got married and started a family, so my first priority was to support my family, and that did not include going to college. Now my children are grown up and now I can do what I have been putting off for the last two decades. Also you need some type of college degree in order to get chosen for certain kind of jobs. Hopefully with my experience and college education I wont have a hard time landing a job in the field I choose.
Do you think college is worth the time, effort and expense?
   I am about 50/50 on that answer, I worked with people at Ford Motor Co. that had a four year degree and the had to work on the assembly line right next to someone that never graduated from high school. It just depends on the rate of pay and the benefits that the receive, it doesnt matter about your education you have. on the other hand some jobs insist that you have some type of college degree in order to work there. Right now from what I have experienced in life and seen in the society, I would say that you are better off spending the time, effort and money to go to college and get a degree.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Greg,

    I'm happy that you have chosen to come back. There are many in your position who have decided to come back after providing for their families. Good for you!

    Unfortunately, not all, but many students right after HS come to college with the mindset of partying. While this may be one aspect of college, it is all about what you make of it. There is something to be said for those students or persons who decide to wait to come back. I certainly wish there was a course taught in HS required by all seniors to take about the real life implications and expectations of either entering the workforce and/or choosing to go to college.

    Given your experiences, how does the reading relate to you and your life.

    Ms. C

    ReplyDelete