Friday, November 19, 2010

Questons for Refection and Writing......Fredrick Douglass

Answer to question 2..
    I think my history of education is just the opposite of Fredrick Douglass's. Douglass always had people trying to stop him from learning how to read. He had to teach himself how to read with very little material, without people knowing. His master did not want him to learn how to read or learn any type of education. Because to his master knowledge was power and he did not want any of the slaves to have power.
   On the other hand, I was tought how to read at a young age by several people at school. In order to get any place in the world today you have to know how to read. The one simularity between Douglass and myself is, Douglass had Mrs. Auld's teaching him how to read and his alphabet at a young age. When I had my mother teaching me and making me read for her every night after dinner or before bed. Nobody forced Douglass to learn how to read, he did it on his own. Where in some cases when I was young I had to be forced to read, I did not like to read in my younger days.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Greg,

    I like the connection you make with Douglass. It is also interesting that you tell us that Douglass wanted to learn how to read; he was not forced; however, had he been caught, (and he did once) he might have faced a harsh punishment. He read for information. I believe that everyone reads for different reasons and these have changed in the 150 years since Douglass. Would you agree? Can you expand on the fact that Douglass liked to read. He wanted to read, but you did not. Why?

    Ms. C

    ReplyDelete